Verily, he who fears Allah with obedience to Him (by abstaining from sins and evil deeds, and by performing righteous good deeds), and is patient, then surely, Allah makes not the reward of the Muhsinun (good-doers) to be lost. [Surah Yusuf Verse 90]
5 Easy Steps to build Taqwa?
1. Healthy Mind Filter your thoughts - Our minds are filled with multiple things all at once. Replace unnecessary and negative thoughts with healthy, positive thoughts. Every time you think you can’t do something, make yourself think you can!
2. Stay Away from Major and Minor Sins - Shamelessness can block your ability to attain taqwa, therefore, stay away from all forms of shamelessness. Be aware of the major and minor sins. If you make a mistake, follow it up with a good deed and make tawba. A sign of piety includes asking for forgiveness. Allah is Al-Ghafur, so always turn to Him. The Messenger of Allah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم) said: “Have taqwa (fear) of Allah wherever you may be, and follow up a bad deed with a good deed which will wipe it out, and behave well towards the people.” (At- Tirmidhi)
3. Perfect Salaah Once you have cleared your thoughts and stayed away from sins to the best of your ability, you can build greater concentration in salah. For example, perfect your salah by praying on time and reciting different surahs and understanding their meanings.
4. Incorporate Sunnah into your life The Prophet (صلی اللہ علیہ وسل) has taught us many duas to help us be conscious of Allah (سبحانه و تعالى) throughout the day. Memorize some daily dua. For example, say the dua when waking up in the morning and when leaving the house. For waking up: ‘All praise is for Allah who gave us life after having taken it from us and unto Him is the Resurrection.‘ For leaving the house: ‘In the name of Allah, I place my trust in Allah, and there is no might nor power except with Allah.’
5. Reading Quran in Arabic and in a language you understand Quran is the tool which Allah (سبحانه و تعالى) has given us so that we may attain taqwa. If Arabic isn’t your first language then read Quran in a language you understand. Understanding the words of Allah (سبحانه و تعالى) will make you more conscious and fearful of Him.